Five Ways to Show the Ocean Some Love
In celebration of Earth month, here are five ways you can care and advocate for our ocean!
Published April 18, 2017
- Buy local. Think about where your food comes from and the resources used to get it to you before you even head to the grocery store. With summer right around the corner, it’s a great time to investigate local farmers’ markets and even CSA programs!
- Drive less. As distant as it seems, our greenhouse gas emissions on land are directly linked to ocean acidification. If we decrease the concentration of these gases in our atmosphere, we can help the oceans maintain a healthy balance.
- Volunteer! Giving your time to help in a local cleanup or even spending a few hours beautifying a park in your neighborhood helps reduce pollution. It’s also a great way to spend time outside! The Aquarium offers many conservation activities throughout the year if you’re looking for inspiration.
- Use your voice. You have a stake in the protection our ocean and you can help! Call your local and national representatives to let them know you support legislation that combats pollution and encourages sustainable practices.
- Make your home more ocean friendly. What you do in your home and your yard has downstream effects on our rivers, bays and oceans. Plant native trees and shrubs, fertilize less (or not at all) this spring and find natural alternatives for herbicides and pesticides.
Share the ocean love on social media – tag us in your Earth Month posts on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!