There are simple things you can do to be more sustainable around the holidays! Here are a few of our favorite tips:
- If you purchase a cut tree, recycle or mulch the tree for use in gardens and playgrounds. Avoid discarding it in a landfill.
- Choose candles made from beeswax or soy. Parafﬁn wax candles are made from petroleum and release the equivalent of diesel exhaust when burned, so you can save fossil fuel resources, improve your indoor air quality and reduce your exposure to carcinogens by using beeswax or soy candles.
- Conserve electricity by installing a timer on holiday lights. Even better, invest in LED holiday lights, which use 90 percent less electricity than traditional holiday lights.
When gift giving:
- Replace plastic bows with reusable cloth ribbons, and save gift wrap and ribbons to decorate next year’s gifts.
- Instead of buying wrapping paper, use decorative tins, baskets or fabric bags. Their reuse will double the gift!
- Use rechargeable batteries for toys and games.
When planning holiday meals:
- Keep it local. Try to incorporate locally raised food into holiday menus.
- When entertaining, be sure to recycle afterwards and cut down on the use of paper products.
We wish everyone a happy and healthy holiday season–including the planet we all call home!