Here are some tips to ensure your next grill gathering is sustainable!
- Use reusable or biodegradable plates and utensils. Use plates, cups and cutlery that won’t end up in the garbage can at the end of the night, or look for biodegradable labeling on single-use plates and utensils.
- Buy local. Summer is the perfect time to take advantage of local farmers markets and locally-grown produce. Barbecue favorites such as corn, peppers, tomatoes and potatoes may have been grown in your very own neighborhood!
- Use gas, propane or electric grills. No grill is perfect, but these options are cleaner for our environment than charcoal or wood. If you already have a charcoal grill, steer clear of briquettes in favor of natural options, and don’t use more than you need!
- Use pitchers for beverages. Instead of buying lemonade, water and iced tea in individual bottles, use pitchers! This cuts down on the impact on our environment, and maybe even the cost to stock up for your backyard event.
- Recycle! When the party wraps up, it’s time to ensure all waste ends up in the proper containers. Label bins appropriately to ensure your guests can help you clean up your backyard while making sure waste goes in the proper place.
With these tips, you’ll be ready to fire up the grill and gather friends to celebrate summer sustainably.