17 Easy Outdoor Activities to do with Your Children
Instilling in your child a respect for—and a love of—nature fortunately doesn’t require too much effort. Simply creating more opportunities for them to be outdoors will help increase their appreciation of the environment. These 16 simple and fun activities are great ways to immerse your kids in nature, but feel free to get creative and think up some of your own.
- Go to the park.
- Use a magnifying glass to explore the backyard up close.
- Do some gardening together.
- Camp out—even if it’s just in the backyard.
- Create a nature journal and have your kids write or draw what they see outdoors.
- Make a bird feeder together and watch the birds that start visiting it.
- Organize a scavenger hunt. Make a list of outdoor items and have the kids find them.
- Have a picnic. Grab a blanket, and take your lunch or dinner outside.
- Create a treasure map and have the kids explore the outdoors to find the treasure.
- Go on a bike ride.
- Create a leaf scrapbook or start a nature collection.
- Do some nature painting in the backyard.
- Exercise with your kids outside.
- Take a nature walk. Or even make a habit out of walking to the mailbox together each day just to get more outdoor time.
- Paint rocks.
- Take story time to the back patio or front porch.
- Visit zoos, aquariums and museums.
Back to the Top