The 1981 Legacy Circle is for those who want to have a significant, lasting impact on the National Aquarium today and for years to come through the power of gift planning—providing critical support to our mission of inspiring conservation of the world's aquatic treasures.
As a nonprofit organization, you—our donors—are the driving force behind everything we do.
Through a planned gift to the National Aquarium, you can integrate philanthropy into your overall tax, estate and financial planning.
In addition to providing important support to the Aquarium's mission, these gifts allow you to maximize inheritance, increase retirement income and reduce tax liability.
Gift planning can include donor-advised funds, bequests, insurance policies, trusts and charitable gift annuities, among other income-producing options:
- Donor-advised funds allow you to provide a gift now and later, with an immediate tax deduction.
- Bequests are a way to include the National Aquarium in your will or estate plan.
- Insurance policies offer the option of making the National Aquarium a beneficiary.
- Trusts distribute remaining assets to the National Aquarium. Charitable remainder unitrusts pay assets and reduce tax liability, while charitable remainder trusts pay income for life with significant tax benefits.
- Charitable gift annuities can be established with a modest amount and pay a lifetime of fixed payments to you and/or a designated individual.
- Other options include naming the National Aquarium as a beneficiary of the proceeds from appreciated equities, appreciated real estate, non-Roth IRA charitable rollovers (for those over the age of 70½), an IRA, 401(k), 403(b) or other defined contribution plans.
Members of the 1981 Legacy Circle are recognized (with permission) in a special section of our Annual Report and on our donor wall. They are also invited to exclusive Aquarium events, including special exhibit previews, and receive exclusive financial updates.
The National Aquarium is a nonprofit organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. All contributions are tax-deductible to the full extent allowed by law.
To learn more, or to discuss gift planning options and mutual benefits, please contact GiftPlanning@aqua.org.
Back to the Top